FREE Ebook: Next Stop: Nursing Home Get My Copy Now!

Schedule Your Consultation Today!
Call Us 24 Hours a Day / 7 Days a Week

(407) 574-8125
(407) 574-8125
(407) 574-8125

The Hardest Question: Selecting A Guardian For Your Children

Get The Legal Help You Need

The Hardest Question: Selecting A Guardian For Your Children

July 5, 2022
Geoff Hoatson

One of the reasons people delay estate planning is because they must face mortality. They will also have to answer who will be responsible for raising their children if something happens to them. At the Family First Firm, we build custom estate plans that protect you, your family, and your assets. When you tell us who you want to nominate as a guardian, we will craft the plan you can rely on. However, some people may be considering this question for the first time—and they may ask how to choose a guardian.

When we receive this question, we offer the following advice: pick the person who would raise them as you would. Though this may seem like an obvious answer, it may not be a common one. Why? Because a lot of people may not use that as the primary factor when choosing a guardian.

For example, you may have the perfect person in mind. This is someone who knows you, your values, and has a relationship with your children. Unfortunately, they don’t have a lot of money. Some people may tell you to choose a guardian based on whether they can financially handle the responsibility.

Money Shouldn’t Be a Factor

We explain that money should not factor into your considerations. Upon hearing that, you may push back and ask how someone can raise your children if they cannot afford it. It is your job to have enough money to ensure someone else can raise your children if something happens to you. People typically accomplish this through life insurance, mutual funds, investments, and savings.

If you are concerned about your child not having enough money, tell your estate planning attorney. By telling your lawyer what you need out of your plan, they can provide you with various options. For instance, you can establish a trust for the child and name someone such as the guardian to be the trustee. You may also opt for choosing a custodian to handle the child's financial needs while allowing the previously-mentioned guardian to be responsible for the well-being of the child.

Family First Firm

When choosing a guardian, select the person you want to raise your children. If there are logistical or financial concerns, tell them to an estate planning attorney at the Family First Firm. We have a multitude of documents that we can choose from—and we choose each one based on your needs. Contact us to schedule a consultation with our estate planning attorneys.

Copyright © 2024. Family First Firm - Medicaid & Elder Law Attorneys. All rights reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Family First Firm – Medicaid & Elder Law Attorneys
(407) 574-8125
Share This Blog

Our Locations

Winter Park Office

Family First Firm - Medicaid & Elder Law Attorneys

1030 W Canton Avenue, Suite 102,
Winter Park, FL 32789

Get Directions

Altamonte Springs Office

Family First Firm - Medicaid & Elder Law Attorneys
By Appointment Only

715 Douglas Ave Suite# 40,
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714

Get Directions

Get free legal advice sent to your inbox


Download Our Free Guide on How to Save Your Assets

How to Save Your Assets Form
Skip to content