FREE Ebook: Next Stop: Nursing Home Get My Copy Now!

Schedule Your Consultation Today!

(407) 574-8125

FAQs About Guardianship

Get The Legal Help You Need

FAQs About Guardianship

March 1, 2023

What Is Guardianship?

A guardian is a person a court appoints to care for a child or adult called a "ward."

When a minor child's parents pass away or lose their parental rights, the court will appoint a legal guardian to make crucial decisions for the child until they turn 18. For children with disabilities who need help in daily decision-making, parents might want to appoint themselves or a trusted relative as guardian.

A court may also appoint a guardian for an adult who develops dementia or suffers cognitive or physical disabilities. You must file a petition to determine incapacity so the court can determine if the adult requires legal guardianship.

A lawyer for legal guardianship with our guardianship law firm can help you file the appropriate petitions with the court so that you can rest easy knowing you have secured the proper care for your loved one.

What Are the Types of Guardianship in Florida?

Full guardianship is for people who cannot care adequately for themselves and need a full-time guardian to act as their primary caregiver and decision-maker.

Limited guardianship is for people who only need help in certain areas, like managing their finances and property. They may still be fully capable of dressing and feeding themselves, doing chores around the house, or other daily tasks. Consult a guardianship attorney at our firm to learn more about different guardianship types.

What Are the Responsibilities of a Guardian?

A guardian of a person makes decisions about the ward's living arrangements, medical procedures, medication, physical therapy, transportation, nutrition, and other day-to-day decisions.

A guardian of an estate, also called a conservator, manages financial decisions for the ward, including managing property, paying bills, and using the ward's assets to support the person during their incapacity.

How Do I File for Guardianship for an Elderly Family Member?

You can only petition for guardianship of an elderly family member if the court judges them to be legally incompetent, either fully or partially. You must first file a petition to determine the incapacity of your family member before you can file a petition to appoint a guardian.

Guardianship is a last resort measure. Before appointing a guardian, the court will prioritize Trusts, Powers of Attorney, and Advance Healthcare Directives. Ask an elderly guardianship attorney at our firm for more information.

Copyright © 2024. Family First Firm - Medicaid & Elder Law Attorneys. All rights reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Family First Firm – Medicaid & Elder Law Attorneys
(407) 574-8125
Share This Blog

Our Locations

Winter Park Office

Family First Firm - Medicaid & Elder Law Attorneys

1030 W Canton Avenue, Suite 102,
Winter Park FL 32789

Get Directions

Altamonte Springs Office

Family First Firm - Medicaid & Elder Law Attorneys
By Appointment Only

715 Douglas Ave Suite# 40,
Altamonte Springs, FL 32714

Get Directions

Get free legal advice sent to your inbox


Download Our Free Guide on How to Save Your Assets

How to Save Your Assets Form